Friday, July 11, 2008

Whole Wheat Pita Bread

I thought to myself, I have been talking a lot about pitas, and
I haven't posted my recipe... Well that's kinda silly of me!
So here it is....

Ingredients
3/4 cup milk (or 2 1/2 tablespoons of dry milk powder and 3/4
cup water) YOU CAN USE NON-DAIRY MILK (I used almond
milk for this once)
1tbsp olive oil
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
1 tsp sugar OR honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast or bread machine yeast

OPTIONAL ADD-INS:
1 tsp. DRIED herbs/spices (I have found that if you use fresh
herbs, the pitas will be a little soggy after baking)

1/4 cup slivered sundried tomatoes, dried fruits...etc. ..

These don't have to be savory, they can be sweet too, I really
like the cinnamon raisin ones I made once... really great with a
cream cheese/fruit filling

I like to stuff these with lots of different things... some of my
favorites are: barbecued pork, chicken salad, or taboule just
about anything you could imagine on a tortilla works well in a
pita, and then there are regular old lunchmeat sadwiches... . a
perk about pitas (if you never had one before) is that they
don't leak from the bottom, so you can use saucy foods to stuff
them with...

Directions:

1. Mix ingredients as you would for any bread dough OR my
personal favorite, since I have a child who does not like me to
be in the kitchen too long: add ingredients to the bread
machine, select the "dough cycle" and start.

2. After the dough is made, set it aside and cover with a large
bowl. Let it rest for about 10 minutes.

3. Divide the dough into seven equal portions and shape each
into a smooth ball. Now flatten the dough into circles that look
like pita bread you might buy from the store (use your hands,
a rolling pin, or a smooth tall glass). Try to keep from making
some places too thin/thick, you want them to be around 1/4
inch thick. Cover the circles and let them rise for about 30
minutes or until they puff slightly.

4. Place 2 to three dough circles on a lightly greased baking
sheet. Bake in an oven at 450 degrees for about 3 minutes,
turn the dough once, then bake for an additional 3 or 4
minutes, or until the bread is puffed and the tops are beginning
to brown.

5. Remove the pita rounds from the oven and let them cool on
a rack, and repeat with the remaining dough circles. You
should end up with 7 to 10 pita rounds.

6. To serve (just in case you never experienced a pita before)
cut the pita in half and open one side up like an envelope... fill
the inside with the filling of your choice, or just wrap the uncut
pita around the desired filling.


________

As with any breads, pitas freeze well, so I make a double or
triple batch and use enough for one meal and freeze the rest,
they are all ready to eat in convenient single serve portions...
just make sure that they are COMPLETELY cooled off from
the oven before you freeze them or condensation will collect on
them and you will have soggy pitas... when you want one you
can set them out to come to room temp, throw them in the
microwave or warm them up in a dry skillet, no oil needed my
preferred method, especially if they got put in the freezer too
soon...

No comments:

The Mediterranean Diet

The Mediterranean Diet
Food Pyramid