Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hummus and Pita chips

When looking around for a light snack or a small meal on a hot day, what could be better than chips and dip? Since I am aiming for low/no sodium for heart healthy reasons, I can't dive to the bottom of a bag of Lay's or Pringles.... and ranch or french onion dip is out of the question for similar reasons.... so I scampered into my kitchen to see what I could concoct....

I have frozen pitas from the last time I made a batch.... I can make chips out of those rather easily by cutting them like a pizza into 6 or 8 peices and baking them till crisp in the oven... great, I have chips, but what to dip them in?!

I looked to the Mediterranean cuisine for an answer..... and found several answers, eggplant dip, brucchetta, olive oil, and.... HUMMUS! Yum! that sounds fantastic!

Now to find a recipe that I like, hummus is basically pureed chickpeas (garbanzo beans) flavored in some way, usually with garlic, lemon, and tahini.... but I wanted a more robust flavor so I came up with my own recipe!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 cup fresh spinach
  • 3 oz, crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cups red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 of a 1 lb. bag of chickpeas, soaked and cooked till soft
Directions

Puree the chickpeas in batches, there are a lot of them! After the chickpeas are finished, puree the remaining ingredients together, then stir the mixture into the pureed chickpeas.

Add water to achieve the desired texture.

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

The Mediterranean Diet

The Mediterranean Diet
Food Pyramid