Saturday, September 19, 2009

Broccoli, Ham, and Cheese Casserole

I had a ham that needed cooking, and I really wasn't wanting a traditional glazed ham... So I googled "ham recipe" and came up with a recipe for a casserole that sounded really tasty... But I didn't want to heat up my house by using the oven. I decided to use the crockpot instead.

But I never made rice in a crockpot before... I googled raw rice cooking in a slow cooker, it says it’s fine, but I didn't want to risk it… plus I wanted to use fresh broccoli instead of frozen... So here is my solution.

Ingredients
2 lbs. Ham, cubed
2 lbs. fresh broccoli florets, chopped
1/2 cup dried minced onion
Cheese Sauce
10 oz. bag frozen sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 bag French's Fried Onions

Directions
Combine Ham and Broccoli in slow cooker. Top with onion. Pour Cheese Sauce over it and stir in well. Cook on LOW in slow cooker till broccoli is tender.

Combine rice, mushrooms, and lemon juice in a rice cooker. Pour 4 cups water over rice and cook.

When rice and broccoli are both done, combine rice into slow cooker mixture. Serve, topped with French's Fried Onions.

No comments:

The Mediterranean Diet

The Mediterranean Diet
Food Pyramid