Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Beef and Apple Cider Stew

I found a recipe called "Golden Beef & Apple Cider Stew", but I just HAD to tweak it. I didn't have any quick cooking tapioca, fresh onions, beef bullion, or fresh apple cider or apple juice. I used different measurements for almost everything. And instead of the thyme called for, I used Mediterranean seasoning I had on hand that I bought from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com

But since I know how most ingredients work, I figured I could substitute just about any thickener for the tapioca, use dried onion since it's in a slow cooker, apple cider is apple cider, and season it to my own tastes...

The original recipe can be found on pg. 102 of Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes.


2lbs. stewing beef
2 Tbs olive oil
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tbs Mediterranean seasoning
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 packets apple cider drink mix
1 cup water
5 or 6 small red potatoes, quartered
4 medium carrots, chopped
4 ribs of celery, chopped
2 medium apples, cored and chopped
1/4 cup dried minced onion

Combine vegetables and apple in slow cooker. Top with onion.

Brown stewing beef in oil. Add garlic, pepper Worcestershire, and seasoning. add water and cider mix. Stir well and allow to boil. Combine butter and flour in a bowl to make a roux, add to meat mixture to make a thick gravy. Turn heat down to medium. Cook till very thick, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.

Pour meat mixture over vegetables in slow cooker. Turn cooker on low setting, cover and allow to cook for 8 hours. Stir well before serving.

No comments:

The Mediterranean Diet

The Mediterranean Diet
Food Pyramid