Sunday, January 25, 2009

Turkey Meatloaf

I decided to get inventive today and use a bunch of ingredients that had been sitting forever in my freezer or pantry... What better way to use up a bunch of ingredients than to make a meatloaf!? I didn't have any hamburger... it is something I try to avoid most of the time because of the fat content... but I did have ground turkey! I had croutons, which I normally use in my meatloaves, but I wondered how it might turn out if I used slightly undercooked rice instead... then I looked for other fillers and veggies... VOILA, a new recipe is born!


INGREDIENTS

1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 cup minced fresh, frozen onions
1/2 cup dry brown rice
1 cup sliced fresh, frozen mushrooms
poultry seasoning
Mediterranean seasoning
2 tbs. mashed potato flakes
barbecue sauce
bell pepper strips (steamed)


DIRECTIONS

Combine rice and seasonings in a rice cooker with 1 1/2 cups water. Place bell pepper strips in the steamer basket on top, and turn on the rice cooker. Thaw the turkey, if it is frozen and combine it with the onions and mushrooms. When the rice is done, combine it with the meat, then add the potato flakes.

Mash it down into a 3x9 inch loaf pan. Top with the barbecue sauce and bake at 400 degrees till done. Top with bell peppers before serving, heat if necessary.

No comments:

The Mediterranean Diet

The Mediterranean Diet
Food Pyramid