Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Southwest's Best Flavors

I love Southwestern American Cuisine almost as much as I love Italian food! Try this scrumptious blend of flavors wrapped in a lettuce leaf, stuffed in a cored tomato, on a bed of tortilla chips... I am allergic to avocado, but I can imagine that this recipe would go really well with guacamole or sliced avocado... the variety is nearly endless!

Start by making [Emeril's Southwest Seasoning]. The recipe makes 1/2 cup of the seasoning, and I find all sorts of uses for it. It is absolutely essential for the following recipe. Store the remaining seasoning blend in a used seasoning jar.

Next, soak 1/2 pound of dry black beans overnight. Cook the beans according to the package instructions, then cool them in the refrigerator... they need to be cold for the recipe. You could use a can or two of black beans, but I find them to be too squishy for this particular recipe. I also recommend using fresh or frozen vegetables rather than canned where it calls for it in the recipe, as this is meant to be a crisp blend of flavors.

Without further ado...

INGREDIENTS

Black beans (already prepared)
2 cups Corn (thawed, if using frozen)
1 cup diced mild chiles of your choice
1/4 cup minced onion
2 Large tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup Emeril's Southwest Seasoning blend (already prepared)
2 Tbs. Lime juice

DIRECTIONS

Combine all ingredients well, being careful not to mash them. Chill at least one hour before serving. I have served this recipe in many ways, some I listed above. Use your imagination!

No comments:

The Mediterranean Diet

The Mediterranean Diet
Food Pyramid