Sunday, December 14, 2008

Mediterranean Inspired Quiche

Mediterranean food is my culinary passion... I love the flavors and textures of the region and I really enjoy creating new and exciting recipes to reflect that region... Here is my latest creation... I hope no one else has done it yet!

If you are capable of making that perfect pie crust without it falling apart on you, by all means make one... As for me, I will continue to buy my pie crusts and spend my time making the filling!

As for the cheese, I have used cheddar, mozzerella, feta, and swiss... all with great results.


INGREDIENTS

1 9 inch unbaked deep dish pie crust
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tbs. minced onion
8 ounces pancetta
2 cups fresh chopped spinach, stems removed
4 Kalamata olives, diced
1 cup whipping cream
5 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice
1 pinch nutmeg
1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced


DIRECTIONS

Brown pancetta and onion in a skillet with half the butter. Add spinach and olives and cook till spinach is just wilted.

Rub remaining butter into the pie crust. Spread pancetta mixture evenly across the bottom of the pie shell.

Combine cream, eggs, cheese, and nutmeg. Pour over pancetta mixture in pie shell. Make sure to poke at the pancetta mixture to get the eggs all in the pie shell.

Place THINLY sliced tomato slices on top of the quiche, making sure the egg doesn't cover the top of them.

Bake quiche in a preheated 425 degrees oven for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 325 degrees and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes or until quiche is set.

Let the finished quiche sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

The Mediterranean Diet

The Mediterranean Diet
Food Pyramid